New story accepted!

I've just learned this morning that Noneuclidan Café has accepted my story "The Sports Fable Press." 'Noneuclidean Café?' you say. What in the world is that? Well, according to the website, the idea came from the strange, twisting streets of Greenwich Village where the perfectly rectangular grid of streets in the rest of Manhattan become jumbled. One intersection is of West 4th and West 12th Streets, which by rights ought to be parallel (and elsewhere are). So, parallel lines, intersecting--we need noneuclidean geometry for that. Euclidean geometry does a good job of explaining the things we see, but when we explore the world closely, we realize that it's not a perfect explanation--we have to reexamine the premises of it to understand some ways the universe works. By metaphor, the journal is a place to go back and question our premises.

Anyway, the story is a sports story set in Metro Detroit. I started writing it years ago when I was living in West Michigan, knowing that I might be moving to Detroit in a few months but not sure (depending on where my wife was accepted for medical school). I abandoned the story, not sure where to take it and only recently returned to it with a new idea (after I'd once again moved away from Detroit). It's gone through a couple more revisions since then, and it should be available next spring. The story comes from my dislike of corporate advertising on everything--clothing, sports stadiums, sporting events...

Comments

Me said…
It was an excellent story that deserved a home. Glad it found one.
Daniel Ausema said…
Thanks! :)