Madeline L'Engle

Another author whose work I loved in grade school has died. I don't remember exactly when I read the original Time trilogy, but I loved all three (and much later read Many Waters and enjoyed it too). I memorized the poem that gives the chapter titles in A Swiftly Tilting Planet. I just tried to run through it in my mind, and I think I'm missing a few lines, but it should come to me. I bet it was about this same time that I memorized the Fear litany of the Bene Gesserit in Dune...I can remember how that starts, but not the only thing by any means. Apparently L'Engle had a new story about the Murrays published this spring--An Acceptable Time. I think I'll have to check that one out.

She came to my college for a conference...oh, must have been during my first year, so spring of '96. I bet I still have notes on her speech somewhere in our crawlspace. I was afraid I would be disillusioned after seeing her and hearing her speak, but I definitely wasn't.

PS--I think I've remembered the missing lines now. But I'm curious because I know how I say the opening, but does it being "At Tara in this fateful hour" or "At Terra in this fateful hour"? (Tara being a fitting word given the Irish origin, but Terra of course working as well for the entire earth.)

Comments