The Last Unicorn

I'm rereading Peter S. Beagle's classic story right now--for years I've been referring to him as one of my favorite fantasists, but I hadn't yet reread any of his books. And it's probably been nearly 10 years since I read The Last Unicorn the first time. So I'm enjoying it...and I'd forgotten how absolutely funny some parts of it are--scenes, snippets, even individual sentences, I'm just laughing out loud (during his breakfast this morning my one-day-shy-of-three-years-old son asked me what I was laughing about, and I couldn't really explain why the appearance of Robin Hood and the reactions of Captain Cully's men was so funny).

Comments

Did you know about The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version? I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I picked up a copy over the summer.
Daniel Ausema said…
I'd seen a reference to that somewhere, but hadn't realized just how different the original draft was. Let me know how it is when you read it (which given your reading speed will be, ummm, in a few years?)