My beamish boy

Because we recently checked out a picture book from the library with just the poem "Jabberwocky" (and some wonderful illustrations), my 3-year-old son now walks around reciting the first two stanzas to anyone who will listen. ("Twas brillig and the slithy toves...") He tends to very carefully enunciate the first lines, but by the time it gets to the Jub-jub bird and the Bandersnatch, it's much more mumbled.

He loves to rhyme as well, so I think he'll come to love words as much as I do. He especially likes to say the poem--very loudly--"to his baby sister" who's due in about two weeks but could easily arrive sooner. One of his friends came over this morning (not a play-date--I hate the term "play-date"!), and I think the boy was unsure what to make of my son's loud chanting of such nonsense...

Comments

I almost forgot baby #2 was due this month! Bet life is about to get crazier...

The Jabberwocky reciting (which is awesome and adorable) reminded of Easter when my 5-year-old nephew was trying to teach me a song. First line enunciated, everything after that mumbled so that he had to keep correcting me when I failed to figure out what I was supposed to be repeating. I'm still not sure what the song was about, but I know it involved a bus and a skunk.
Daniel Ausema said…
Yeah, crazy is pretty accurate =) Nice--of course you should be able understand every line he tells you. My son has actually moved on to reciting the entire poem now (with an occasional prompt sometimes) and even singing it to a made-up tune. I tried to get him to do it for the camera this morning, but then he became shy about it.