Speculative fiction in other countries

There's a good article on Locus today about 2009-published books from other countries, many in other languages and not yet translated into English. I always like to learn about the broader world of fiction, so it's fascinating to learn a bit about these. The best titles (after translation): The Wind in the Umbrella Pines from Czech Republic and And One Day in Siena the Orc Grabbed the She-mammal from Italy. And a couple that the premise especially struck me, Hydromania from Israel, in which water has become the new (scarce) currency and Enciclopédia da Estória Universal from Portugal, which in summary seems very Borgesian...but that's a good thing to me. I only wish they'd been able to get some Spanish-language books, because then there'd be a chance I could read them already. Maybe some of the others have been or soon will be translated into Spanish...

Comments